Research Projects under Professor James M. Conrad
- Embedded systems and sensors.
- Robotics: autonomous vehicles
- Wireless systems and devices
- Engineering education.
If you are interested in working with me, please read the following
Asked Questions". (Under Construction). Of note: I
WILL NOT select students for any of this work without seeing their skills in my
Embedded Systems class. If you are interested, you must be a currently
enrolled UNC Charlotte Student who has completed at least 2 months of class work.
NOTE: As of fall 2014, Dr. Conrad will no longer accept MS Project
When you write reports, try to write everything using IEEE standards.
For final reports for classes, use the IEEE two column
word file (Search the ieee.org website for the latest version.)
MS Thesis and PhD Research Topics
- Inexpensive Autonomous Robotic Vehicle - the
- Control of motors and other actuators
- GPS dead reckoning - continuation of work by
- Sonar/ultrasonic sensors
- Camera recognition of objects
- LIDAR recognition of objects
- Area obstacle discovery and mapping
- Path planning based on object maps - continuation of work of
- "Recyclebot" - an interactive vehicle that will roam around the football stadium encouraging people to recycle and collect recyclables.
(This project is only funded for materials, NOT RA work):
- User interaction
- Mechanical design, drive chain, and motion control
- Sorting and compacting
- Design, assembly, and test of flying robotic vehicles (possible future funding)
- Investigating autonomous flight and control
- Investigating swarm behaviors
- Breadcrumb trail for communications to the swarm
- Wireless sensor networks of a lighting control unit (possible
- Creating a control unit (requires electronics background)
- Creating a wireless communication unit
This page maintained by James Conrad.
Copyright 1994-2014 James M. Conrad. All rights reserved.